This garment is worn at night instead of the day shift in the cooler months. It features:
- long sleeves with narrow trimmed cuffs
- slit in the front fastened with three buttons equally spaced.
- buttonholes are lengthways on the narrow hem.
- trimmed collar that is either turned down or standing like a fichu
- shoulder pieces
In summer a nightcap without strings is worn, in winter a trimmed serre-tête is worn underneath a cap with strings.
In hot weather the day shift might be worn with a muslin fichu that is replaced by a night jacket.
1. Grimble, Frances, The Lady's Stratagem, pg 183-4.